Visa Requirements: November 2014 and beyond

The process of applying for a residency visa changed significantly in November 2014, so a long-overdue update is in order.


Group one countries, which include most of the “first world”, are still able to enter Bolivia visa free and stay for up to 90 days per calendar year. This means, for example, that you can stay for three months from October to December one year, then come back in January and stay for another three months. Tourists are typically only given a 30 day visa on arrival but this can be quickly rectified by visiting the Migraciones office in any of the major cities and asking for an extension, up to a maximum of 90 days in total. The process can even be done after the initial 30 day visa has expired.

There is no longer an option to extend tourist visas beyond 90 days. Nevertheless, tourists can still overstay for a reasonable amount of time and pay just a 20 BOB fine per day upon leaving the country at any airport or land border.

Group two countries — including the USA — can apply for a visa on arrival.  Officially, tourists from group two countries should have a passport photo, hotel reservation, itinerary, a letter of invitation, a yellow fever vaccination, proof of sufficient funds (i.e. credit card), return airfare/bus tickets and US$160 in crisp, undamaged US bills. In reality, you only need bring cash as the rest is never requested by border officials. Visa on arrival is available at all international airports and major land borders.

WARNING: Visa on arrival for Americans has been problematic over the years. There have been reports of tourists being turned away at the border even with all the correct documentation. Furthermore, many airlines are said to refuse boarding if the traveler does not have all of the above documentation. Finally, the price and validity of the tourist visa tends to change as often as the winds. To be on the safe side, check with your local embassy AND airline.

Group three countries, which include most of the “third world” and more recently Israel, must apply for a visa in advance from a Bolivian consulate in another country.

passport - John Barker

source: flickr – John Barker. Creative Commons.


The residency process is still fairly long and drawn-out but it’s notably better than it used to be. These days, a foreigner wishing to reside in Bolivia typically chooses from one of five different visa options: Working Visa, Study Visa, Health Visa, Humanitarian Visa and Family Visa.

Those migrating from other South American countries might have different requirements altogether and should check the Migraciones website. 

So what’s changed?

The good news is that gringos can now apply for a three year visa straight away, meaning it’s no longer necessary to keep doing endless amounts of visa paperwork every year. Another nice change is that applicants are no longer required to have home inspections which were lengthy, costly and fraught with corruption. Finally, it’s no longer necessary for group one countries to apply for an Objeto Determinado, although I’m unsure about other countries, i.e. the USA. These days new applicants must have a police background check from their home country instead.


I was working for a company which employed me under a contrato civil and was required to present the following documentation:

  • A copy of your contract (civil) signed by the owner or legal representative and witnessed (reconocimiento de firmas) by a notary. The notary must witness both you and the owner/legal rep sign the contract. Bring two copies of the contract and two copies of your I.D. In La Paz, there are plenty of Notaries in calle Yanacocha.
  • A photocopy of the Registro Commercial of your employer.
  • A photocopy of the Acta de Constitucion of your employer.
  • A photocopy of the NIT of your employer.
  • A photocopy of the legal representatives ID.
  • A Certificado de Trabajo (maybe optional).

As I understand, those employed under a contrato laboral have different requirements and should get approval from the Ministry of Trabajo. Those starting a business or working independently also have different requirements.


For most visas, i.e. Work, Study, Family etc.

1.  A criminal background check from your country of origin. 

  • This is only required if you are applying for a new residency visa. It is not required for extensions.
  • It’s much easier to get this while still in your home country.
  • Foreign documents have to be translated into Spanish and legalized which you can easily and cheaply do once inside Bolivia.

2.  FELCN Certificado de Antecedentes (narcotics police criminal background check). In La Paz – Near Plaza Adela Zamudio, Sopocachi. Mon to Fri, 0900 – 1800.

Initially you need:

  • Two photocopies of your passport
  • Memorial (a cove­­r letter) written by a lawyer to the Director for the FELCN asking for a “certificado de antecedentes”.  In La Paz you can find many lawyers in Calle Yanacocha, but make sure that everything is spelt correctly. A Memorial shouldn’t cost more than 50BS.

After 72 hours they will ask you to come back with:

  • A receipt of a bank deposit to Banco Union of 25BS to the account 14041070.
  • One passport photograph sized 4×4 with a red background.
  • A copy of the memorial which you initially provided.
  • Two photocopies of your passport.
  • Your original passport.

If you have everything ready they will do this on the spot for you.  It should take less than an hour.

3.  Antecedentes de INTERPOL (INTERPOL background check). In La Paz -Av Costanera, Seguencoma. It’s in the big European style house with the pointy roof next to the football field (supposedly a confiscated Narcos house). Mon to Fri, 0900-1700.

This is only necessary if you are applying for a new visa. Those who are extending their residency visa do not need Antecedentes de INTERPOL, assuming they have not left Bolivia for more than three months.

These INTERPOL requirements are from June 2014 and may be out of date.  I recommend to check with INTERPOL directly before acquiring documentation. 

Bring with you the following:

  • Colour photocopy of your passport, including photo page.
  • Four passport photos, size 3×4, with a red background. Three must be from the front and one of a half profile from the right (medio perfil derecho).
  • A photocopy of your certificado de antecedentes de FELCN.
  • Photocopy of your rental or anticretico contract with your name on it.
  • Photocopy of the Cedula de Identidad of the owner of the property.
  • Documentation that proves he/she is the lawful owner of the house/apartment. This is usually known as a Folio Real.
  • Photocopy of the receipt of the latest electricity and gas payment in your name (or it can be in the name of the landlord if included in rent).
  • A yellow folder.
  • A memorial to the Director Departmental de INTERPOL, specifying your full name, nationality, passport number, marital status, occupation, address in Bolivia, and the motive of your application (ie 1 year temporary working residency). This memorial does not need to be written by a lawyer. You can do it yourself, just copy the style and format of one of your previous memorials.
  • Receipt of a payment of 50 BOB to Banco Union to the account of 1404 1070.

You will have to return in 5 working days to collect the certificate.

4.  Antecedentes de FELCC (regular police background check). In La Paz – Transito, corner of Mariscal Santa Cruz (Prado) and Cochabamba. 

The process only takes 15 minutes but expect to wait in line at least two hours. Bring with you the following.

  • A photocopy of your passport, including entry stamps or previous visa.
  • Original passport.
  • A photocopy of your Certificado de Antecedentes de INTERPOL (if required).
  • One passport photo, size 4×4 with a red background.
  • A receipt for a payment of 25 BOB to Banco Union to the account number 1404 1070.

5.  Health Check. In La Paz – INSO, Calle Claudio Sanjines, Miraflores, opposite Hospital Torax,  Mon to Fri, 0800-1000.

This doesn’t need to be done in sequence as there are no prerequisites. You should fast after dinner the night before, so no food or drink. They will do a series of medical checks which take about three hours. Once finished, you will be told to come back in three days or so to collect your results. Bring the following:

  • A sample of your morning pee.  You can buy containers from almost any pharmacy.
  • 197 BS cash.
  • A photocopy of your passport.

6.  REJAP Certificate of legal system background check (Certificado de Antecedentes Penales). In La Paz – Calle Potosi and Yanacocha. Document Submission 0800 – 1030am.  Document collection 0800 – 1700 (closed for lunch).

This doesn’t need to be done in sequence as there are no prerequisites.

This is only required for an extension of a residency visa, not for a first application.

There are two REJAP offices on the same street for some reason. You pay at the higher one and submit at the lower one.  You have to submit your documents in the morning but can collect them any time after a 72 hour processing period.

  • Photocopy of your ID (carnet or passport).
  • 50 BOB cash.

Other documentation:

  • Valid passport with a previous residency sticker for renewals or an entry stamp for new applications.
  • Proof of yellow fever vaccination. This is only required if you are living or working in an area affected by yellow fever.
  • A bank statement showing sufficient funds to live in Bolivia. You need a minimum of $300 per month to prove solvency, but more is recommended to live comfortably in Bolivia. I’m not sure if this was necessary in hindsight.
  • 2 passport photos; size 4×4 with a red background.

What’s next?

Once your documentation has been accepted you need to pay the processing fee to Banco Union. The amount you pay depends on the length of your visa. I paid 2000 BOB for a two year working visa. Migraciones should have your visa ready for you within one week.

The next step is to apply for your Carnet de Identidad.


About Harry

Harry is a freelance writer based in South America who writes about travel among numerous other things.
This entry was posted in Visa and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Visa Requirements: November 2014 and beyond

  1. Lindsay N says:

    Thank you for the informative article. I was wondering if you could help me?

    I have just today received my second and final 30 day extension stamp (having first entered Bolivia on Sep 12 this year). I will leave for Peru on Nov 21, but wish to return to Bolivia again on Dec 5. As this is in the same calendar year, is there a way I can do this or must I apply for a visa while in Peru?



    • Hi Lindsay. The 90 days per calendar year is only counted for days spent inside of Bolivia. The time you spent in Peru is not considered part of this therefore you should be able to enter Bolivia again. You would legally only have another 1-2 weeks in Bolivia, but you could just pay the fee of 20 BS per day for each day you overstay. I’ve done that myself in the past without any dramas.

      Liked by 1 person

  2. danielrichardbond says:

    What the hell do they do for three hours in the medical examination?! That’s longer than my pilot medical took.

    What do they check during the medical? Can you let me know, cheers


    • Most of that is waiting around as you are checked over by several different doctors. You get a blood test, dental checkup, chest x-ray, visit with a GP and maybe something else, I can’t remember.


      • danielrichardbond says:

        Thanks. I’m planning on coming here at some point to live as I have a Bolivian wife and quite frankly love Bolivia. Thinking of hiring a lawer to makes things go a little smoother. I’m from the UK and will be bringing over about $200k, so am thinking it shouldn’t be too much of a problem


      • If you’ve got cash a good lawyer is worth it. They should charge about $200 to walk you through the whole process. You still have to actually go to a lot of places to get police reports etc but the lawyer make it easy.

        200k will obviously go pretty far over here. A decent apartment in a nice area should cost just over 100k.


  3. danielrichardbond says:

    Yeah already looked at a few houses. I’ll most likely move to La Guardia. I’ve seen a few nice houses in Laguna Azul. I’ve been to quite a few parts of Bolivia, I like Cochabamba and La Guardia (although with La Guardia having family lots of family there helps)

    I’ve been to La Paz, but it’s too cold! I want the heat!


  4. To be honest I had to google La Guardia. Looks pretty if you’re not into the big city lifestyle. I’d agree that the cold in La Paz is a big turn off.


  5. Royston C says:

    I need some advice. I am planning on moving to sucre next July to learn Spanish for at least 3-4 months to become fluent.
    With regard to visa issues what would you recommend for me? Travel again on a tourist visa then once I get there, sort out my student visa? Or shall I get it sorted before hand? Problem with the latter is that I will have to pick my Spanish school before I arrive..and from previous experience… it’s always best to go and talk with them beforehand to get a better deal etc..
    Again your help is appreciated.
    Royston C


    • Hi Roy. To be honest if you are only planning on spending 4 months in Bolivia I would just come in a tourist visa and overstay the extra month. They don’t really mind people doing this and are quite happy to just collect the fine, which is 20BS per day.


  6. Roy says:

    Hi. I need some advice. Planning on moving to sucre for at least 3 maybe to 6 months to become fluent in Spanish. What would you recommend with regard to visa issues?
    Travelling back again on a tourist visa then arranging my student visa with my Spanish school or sorting it out beforehand? The problem with the latter is that..I would have to pick a Spanish school whilst here (U.K.). From past knowledge going and speaking to them is where I would be able to get a better deal etc.

    Your help is appreciated


  7. izabeating says:

    my name is Isabelle and I was wondering if you really need to find a job in Bolivia to have the one year visa? because there’s a website that i was looking *in french) and it was writing that to obtain the visa one year I should have ”A notarial letter accrediting the activity you will carry out and your economic solvency if you do not have any work.” I was wondering if it’s working? because I would like to be an extern agent for a travel agency in Canada, but in Bolivia. If it’s not working the notarial letter, I was wondering if it’s hard to find a job in La Paz? Do you know some website or agency that help people to find a job? Thank you for your time :)


    • Good question. Yes, you should be able to provide a letter detailing what you’ll be doing rather than a local work contract, so long as you can prove you have enough money to live here and meet all the other requirements. This kind of stuff can get a little complicated so it’s best to get the help of an immigration lawyer. Unfortunately I don’t have any contacts but you might try the La Paz Expats Facebook group. Goodluck.


  8. Pingback: Finding teaching work in Bolivia | A GRINGO IN BOLIVIA

  9. Pingback: Visa Requirements | A GRINGO IN BOLIVIA

  10. Pingback: The (lengthy) residency process. | A GRINGO IN BOLIVIA

  11. Sara says:


    I am a US citizen currently in Bolivia on a tourist visa and have been here for almost 90 days and didn’t realize I had to renew my visa every 20 days. Should it be fine if I go to the immigration office and get the extension now, or do you think I will have to pay a fine?


    • Harry says:

      Pretty sure you’ll be fine. My friends had the same issue and immigration just fixed them up, no questions asked. Probably best to do so before you leave the country.

      After 90 days an overstay fine applies of 20-30 BOB per day.


  12. Dany says:

    Nice web page good work , did you visit the other side of Bolivia , i.e. Santa Cruz? where cambas comes 😁😁 like me.


  13. Jonell says:

    Just wondering if you remember what is needed to apply for permanent residency. My husband and I have been in Bolivia for just over 2 years, we applied for the 3 yr residency and so are making plans to apply for permanent. Not sure when we can start the process, 3 months before it expires?? Do we need to do all the paper work again?? Thanks.


  14. Harry says:

    Hey, I kinda remember as it just did the permanent last year. I hasn’t changed a whole lot since 2014. For PR, you’ll need the following at a minimum 1.FELCN antecedentes. 2. FELCC antecedents .3 INTERPOL I didn’t have to do. I think you gotta renew it if you’ve been outside Bolivia for 3 months. 4. INSO health check 5. documentation regarding your job/family etc that lets you stay. 5.other documentation (as above). The price is 5000 BOB per person, probably some discounts for kids. You can start collecting your documents whenever you want. However, most have an expiration date, usually a year after they’ve been collected. Also, I would assume you could only lodge your visa XX days before it expires. The migration website has a detailed, albeit confusing, list of the requirements.


  15. J Owens says:

    Hey Harry,

    Would you happen to know if it’s at all possible to apply for a residential visa or work visa on a tourist visa? I’ve had a change of plans and was originally just going down here to visit my partner but given a bunch of circumstances I’d prefer staying instead of going back. Any chance you know anyone with experience in this kinda situation and what my options are that possibly don’t include the expensive flight back to the US for a determined object visa?



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s